Skip to main content

"Ye cannot behold with your natural eyes, for the present time..."

I once had a friend say to me, "Karissa, do you ever wake up and just think, 'Anything could happen today. Today's events could change the course of my entire life'?" I find it thrilling how unpredictable life is, how often I find myself shaking my head in wonder and saying, "Wow. I sure didn't see that coming when I woke up this morning."
Yesterday was one of those days when I said, "Wow. I sure didn't see that coming when I woke up this morning...and if I had, I probably just wouldn't have gotten out of bed."
But this same unpredictability is what gives me hope. I look over the past year of my life and see how many blessings have poured in that I'd never have expected. New friends, rich experiences, fun times, hard times, opportunities, and lessons in love, in trust, in letting others in. I never would have seen this coming. And so maybe a year from now, I'll look back on this weekend and say, "Yep, that sucked. That hurt a lot. But wow, if I'd never done that, I'd never have learned [lesson] or had [experience] or met [person] or done [awesome thing]."
You never see what's coming up while you're in the midst of the hard thing. Ammon knew this, and said, "Could we have supposed when we started from the land of Zarahemla that God would have granted us such great blessings?" (Alma 26:1). I bet when they started out from Zarahemla into an unknown wilderness, to teach a hostile people, and suffer incredible hardships, they weren't saying, "Man. This is so awesome. I just know right now that we're going to convert exactly 1327 Lamanites, including two Lamanite kings, and we'll forever be happy and hailed as deeply successful missionaries. Let's get out there and do this!" I think they were probably saying something more like, "Well, this sucks. Himni lost the map, so we have no idea where we are. It's been raining for three straight days, Omner's got some weird parasite, Aaron's leg is broken and...seriously? We don't know how to be missionaries! We've never done this before! We've never left home before! What are we doing?"
But the thing is, they didn't go home. They trusted the Lord, had patience, and kept going. And they were successful beyond anything they could have foretold.
The Lord said, "Ye cannot behold with your natural eyes, for the present time, the design of your God concerning those things which shall come hereafter, and the glory which shall follow after much tribulation." (D&C 58:3).
And so, underneath the emotional pain and turmoil I've found myself in these past few days, I have great hope. I know we did the right thing. I know the future's bright. I know the Lord has crazy good things in store for me. And for you.
I'll be ok. You'll be ok. We'll both be ok.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In which I pen a tribute to my ex-boyfriends

So, I promised a friend I would have something substantial up here by tonight. Another friend told me that I needed to post soon, because...MY READERSHIP! I didn't know I had a "readership" but if I do, I'd hate to disappoint them! So here goes. Lately, I've been getting a lot of questions about whether or not I'm dating anyone, or if I'm still dating "that one guy" (which has been used in reference to both the man I stopped dating about a month ago, and the other fellow I stopped dating over a year ago), or simply condolences that things didn't work out with some relationship or another. These questions and condolences are often coupled with the idea that I'll "find the right guy soon," or "I met my husband right after a break-up," or that "if it isn't right, it isn't right." And while I don't disagree with any of those statements, I also feel that these relationships and subsequent breakups,

In which I share a string of possibly unconnected thoughts.

It's raining outside. Everything is misty, and the mountains are wrapped in heavy white clouds. It makes me homesick for this place: (Can you be homesick for a place that was never your home?)  I think I'm long overdue for some Oregon beach-camping. Hopefully I can make it happen...next summer. In other news, yesterday was Norwegian Independence Day. Which doesn't mean much to me, except that I got to enjoy some good food and good company. I am officially in love with this: Oh, and this: That is all. 

In which I iterate a list of things that irk me

The phrase: "Attitude of Gratitude." I don't know why, but it makes me cringe. Every. Single. Time. The Washington Post Social Reader Facebook app. I refuse to download the app because I don't want the entire Facebook community to know that I'm reading about "Beyonce's Incredible, Unique, Miraculous Pregnancy." This means, however, that I get to see all the tantalizing headlines from articles my friends are reading, without being able to read them myself. It's...maddening. Spotify. For similar reasons. Too-long eyelash extensions. Girls, having baby tarantulas attached to your eyelids is not attractive. The dating scene. I would like to either be completely single and romance-less, or have a boyfriend who loves and adores me. None of this going on dates with boys who I don't actually like that much. None of these mini-crushes on menfolk who won't ever reciprocate. As Patrick Henry once said, give me true love or give me asexuality