Skip to main content

In which I put in my two cents on "The Great Hipster Debate"

Hipsters, the twenty-first century enigma.


Everyone has seen them.

Everyone can recognize them.

But when asked what exactly a hipster is, we all find it problematic to describe them without incriminating ourselves.

We mock them. We revile them. We make blogs about them. And we protest vehemently if anybody accuses us of being them (except for those of us who wish we were cool enough to be hipsters...but that's an issue for another post)

The main beef people seem to have with hipsters is that they are disingenuous. They listen to obscure music to sound sophisticated (but not music so obscure that nobody will be impressed by the band names). They eat organic food, wear TOMS shoes and recycle in order to appear socially aware.

They dress in thrift store clothes to look original and unique, but really just end up looking like everyone else who shops at thrift stores.

They liked Arcade Fire before they won a Grammy.


(As a brief side note, will everyone please take some time to search "Hipster Disney" in Google Images? I promise you, you will laugh.)

Interestingly enough, I've noticed a similar insincerity in the anti-hipster movement. People complain about all these hipsters trying to be so cool, but just looking like posers. They complain about all these kids running around in skinny jeans and listening to vinyl. You know what that sounds like to me? That sounds like someone having an issue with the mainstream culture!  That sounds dangerously like...hipsterism! Judging someone for listening to Band of Horses and Fleet Foxes is really only one step away from judging someone for listening to Nickelback. That's right, friends. By hating on the hipsters, you have unconsciously become what you most hate. Good work.

Here's what I ask: can we just...stop?

If you like Belle and Sebastian, listen to Belle and Sebastian.

If you care about recycling, recycle.

If you'd rather ride your bike than drive, by all means, hop on that ten-speed.

And if you genuinely love vintage clothing, hit up that thrift store and shop to your heart's content.

And if someone calls you a hipster, don't worry about. It should only sting if you only listen to indie music to sound edgy, or if you shop at the organic store simply because that's where your friends shop.

And you know what else?

If Nickelback is your cup of tea, blast it.

If you can't get behind the vegan movement, eat you a juicy steak.

If you think skinny jeans look idiotic, good news, you don't have to wear them!

It's okay to like mainstream things. It's okay to like obscure things. Just....like what you like. Do what makes you happy. Don't stress about labels. And...please try not to label other people. It hurts, and doesn't do much good for you either.

Now if you don't mind, I'm going to go listen to Iron and Wine while wearing a sweater and chunky-framed glasses.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In which I pen a tribute to my ex-boyfriends

So, I promised a friend I would have something substantial up here by tonight. Another friend told me that I needed to post soon, because...MY READERSHIP! I didn't know I had a "readership" but if I do, I'd hate to disappoint them! So here goes. Lately, I've been getting a lot of questions about whether or not I'm dating anyone, or if I'm still dating "that one guy" (which has been used in reference to both the man I stopped dating about a month ago, and the other fellow I stopped dating over a year ago), or simply condolences that things didn't work out with some relationship or another. These questions and condolences are often coupled with the idea that I'll "find the right guy soon," or "I met my husband right after a break-up," or that "if it isn't right, it isn't right." And while I don't disagree with any of those statements, I also feel that these relationships and subsequent breakups,

In which I share a string of possibly unconnected thoughts.

It's raining outside. Everything is misty, and the mountains are wrapped in heavy white clouds. It makes me homesick for this place: (Can you be homesick for a place that was never your home?)  I think I'm long overdue for some Oregon beach-camping. Hopefully I can make it happen...next summer. In other news, yesterday was Norwegian Independence Day. Which doesn't mean much to me, except that I got to enjoy some good food and good company. I am officially in love with this: Oh, and this: That is all. 

In which I iterate a list of things that irk me

The phrase: "Attitude of Gratitude." I don't know why, but it makes me cringe. Every. Single. Time. The Washington Post Social Reader Facebook app. I refuse to download the app because I don't want the entire Facebook community to know that I'm reading about "Beyonce's Incredible, Unique, Miraculous Pregnancy." This means, however, that I get to see all the tantalizing headlines from articles my friends are reading, without being able to read them myself. It's...maddening. Spotify. For similar reasons. Too-long eyelash extensions. Girls, having baby tarantulas attached to your eyelids is not attractive. The dating scene. I would like to either be completely single and romance-less, or have a boyfriend who loves and adores me. None of this going on dates with boys who I don't actually like that much. None of these mini-crushes on menfolk who won't ever reciprocate. As Patrick Henry once said, give me true love or give me asexuality