So, conditions for the Liebster award require me to post 11 things about myself. Thus, in no particular order:
11 facts about me:
1. I have an inordinate fondness for reptiles. Especially turtles and snakes. I would love an albino corn snake (they're so pretttyyyyy) but barring that, I would be happy with a box turtle.
2. I once peed my pants while on a date with a boy I really liked.
3. This one time I went scuba diving in the Caribbean and threw up. On my sister's head. She didn't notice though, because we were underwater so the vomit just kinda...dissipated. Honestly, I'm just glad I remembered to remove my regulator first, because nothing sounds worse than inhaling your own puke.
4. I don't like fruit. The textures make me gag. Except apples. And pineapple. Pineapple is wonderful.
5. When I was 14, I had the lead in my junior high's production of Annie Get Your Gun. This marked the apex of both my acting career and my popularity.
6. I have a thing for beards. I will readily admit that not every man can pull off a beard, but those that can...holy cow.
7. I sort of have an obsession with webcomics. Here are some of my favorites: Wondermark, Dinosaur Comics, Hark! A Vagrant!, and Nimona.
8. I love Chacos. My Chacos have accompanied me to 7 different countries, 6 castles (if I'm counting right), several mountaintops, a few church meetings and both an LDS temple and a Hare Krishna temple.
9. I once climbed a bookshelf in my sleep.
10. I play the ukulele. It is my antidepressant. (Well, actually Zoloft is my antidepressant...but the ukulele is my other, slightly more effective antidepressant).
11. When I acted up as a small child, my parents had to ground me from books instead of from friends, because I didn't care enough about friends for that to be much of a reinforcer.
My 11 answers to Dria's questions:
1. What is your favorite type of book to read? All of them. All the books in the world. Or anything with really beautiful prose. Even if the story is nonexistent, give me some pretty words and I'm happy.
2. What is your dream job? Professional napper. Oh wait, a real job? Elementary music specialist.
3. If you could visit any country, which would you visit? Just one country? Well, I think the next one on my list is the United Kingdom. Specifically, I would like to backpack the entire British Isles for a few weeks. Maybe I'll do that next year, after graduation.
4. Where do you think you'll be in ten years? Earth, probably. I mean, I guess there's a chance that there will be colonies on Mars by that point, but Mars seems kinda...barren. And far from my family.
5. If your 16-year-old self could see you now, what would he or she think of you? She would be surprised that I am planning on teaching elementary school, disappointed in how little I practice the piano, ecstatic about how much I've traveled, and slightly scandalized by how much I like kissing (my 16 year-old self was seriously considering not kissing anyone until she was engaged).
6. If you could donate one million dollars to any charity, which would it be? I think I would first put it all into Kiva loans. Once they were repaid, I would donate the money to the United Way, the Liz Shropshire Foundation, the Beverly Taylor Sorensen Foundation, and Water for Life.
7. What do you consider to be your greatest strengths? Passion. For my life work, for the people I care about, and for life itself. Also, I'm pretty hot.
8. If you had to describe yourself as an animal, which would you choose? An otter. Because they're adorable, and smart enough to use tools, and playful, and awesome swimmers. And also they are rather fierce when provoked.
9. What is your favorite type of music? The kind that makes me remember what I love about life and opens me up to experiences and feelings beyond my own.
10. How old were you when you had your first kiss, and how did it happen? I was 19, and had been exclusive with my first boyfriend for just about 24 hours. I was terrified of kissing, and told him I wanted to wait like, a week. That night, we were watching Beauty and the Beast and I was reminding myself over and over that I wasn't going to kiss him that night, because he was sick and I didn't want to catch it. After the movie, we both fell asleep on his parents' couch. We woke up around 3:00 am and were talking. I was only half-conscious and saying a lot of thing that didn't quite make sense. He asked if he could kiss me. I tried really hard to remember why I didn't want to kiss him, but I was too sleepy, so I let him kiss me. The next day I woke up coughing, and remembered why I wasn't supposed to kiss him. Thankfully, it was just a cold, not mono or anything.
11. Who is your favorite figure from history? Hmm... Hildegard von Bingen was pretty rad. I would pick either Hildegard or Abe Lincoln.
11 blogs I'm nominating for the liebster award:
Andy's blog: the joy of life
Bekah's blog: From the Mixed-up Files of Ms. Rebekah E. Westrup
Callie's blog: sunshine
Matt's blog: matt's blog
Meilina's blog: Good Things to Come
Emilia's blog: In Which I Start a Blog
Whitney's blog: Hypaethral
Ellie's blog: life is beautiful
Todd's blog: Fritter and Waste the Hours in an Off-hand Way
Jenni's blog: the breadbox
Jacob's blog: A Thomas or a Paul?
Questions I want the nominees to answer:
1. What is the most impulsive thing you've ever done?
2. What is your favorite breakfast food?
3. If you had to choose one holiday to repeat every day for a year, what would it be?
4. What is your favorite type of weather?
5. Why do you blog?
6. Cats or dogs?
7. If you had to choose one, would you rather spend the rest of your life on a vegetarian diet or a gluten-free diet?
8. Would you rather backpack Europe staying in cheap hostels along the way, or take a Mediterranean cruise?
9. What is your favorite national park?
10. If you had to live in the world of one science fiction or fantasy book, which would you choose?
11. What song is stuck in your head right now? (bonus points if you include a video of yourself singing along).
note the first: if you don't feel like doing a liebster post in response to being nominated, no pressure. Though I would love to hear what all y'all have to say. Also, I'm way too lazy to go through and comment on all 11 of these blogs to inform you that you were nominated. So...hopefully you see it on here? Maybe I'll tag you on facebook or something, too.
note the second: there are a lot of other people whose blogs I love. way more than eleven. if Dria picked you in her post, you were automatically disqualified for mine. sorry, friends.