Skip to main content

Giving Thanks

I have so much to be grateful for that if I made a comprehensive list, I'd be sitting here typing for eternity, and never get around to enjoying all the blessings I was listing! And that would be true ungratefulness! So, taking inspiration from the Alphabet, I will try to sum up a few things that I'm grateful for. And, in a feat of daring skill, I will do it BACKWARDS!!!
Z: Zeal. I love talking to people who are passionate about what they do, whether it's biology, education, Chinese, or swordfighting. People like this make me want to make a difference in my own field!
Y:Yams. I don't like them...but some people do. And I'm glad they get some happiness out of it.
X: X. The unknown factor. Because life wouldn't be fun if you knew it all before.
W: Wonder. Those moments when you see an enormous rainbow, a sunset, or a fascinatingly translucent leaf, and you just have to hold your breath and stop thinking for a minute.
V: Vacation. My justification for blogging instead of practicing right now.
U: Underwear. You know, life just wouldn't be the same without it. And I really like my colorful spotted pair...
T: Trees! Climbing in them, sitting underneath them, wandering through forests of them...trees are terrific!
S: Smiles. From Elf: "Smiling's my favorite!" And other people smiling is my favorite too! Especially when it's their real smile, the kind that comes without trying because they're so happy!
R: Roommates. The other night, we watched Back to the Future and had a dance party in our living room. We call each other strumpets and don't let each other cave, and sometimes we make whole conversations out of us each talking to ourselves.
Q: Quails. I don't see them very much, but whenever I run across them crossing the street or hiding behind a bush, I get happy. I don't know why.
P: Pie. I've had an abundance of it this week, and more is coming. Pumpkin, chocolate, coconut cream...I'm excited already.
O: Opportunities to serve. I used to feel so helpless, seeing all the bad in the world and not being able to do anything. But in the last year, I've been handed so many chances to make a difference! I hope they keep coming and that I can make my own, and I'm so thankful for the people who create opportunities for me to help out!
N: Nerds. And by that I mean, people who will know EVERYTHING about a given subject, be it LOTR, physics, or the history of rock, and will sit and teach me about it.
M: Magic. Not in the witchcraft sense, in the sense of wonderful things happening that I don't want to find an explanation for, in the sense of serendipitous happenings that make me smile, that aren't really magic but give me such a happy feeling I don't know any other way to describe it.
L: Laws. I think we have too many of them, but I appreciate that we have a justice system that keeps safety and order.
K: K. Yep, the letter K. The awesome, angular letter that makes me just a little different from all the Carissa's out there. I also appreciate other people who spell their names with K when it's normally a C, like Kristian and...Karoline? Except I don't know any Karoline's. Kristian, if you're reading this, I appreciate the spelling of your name.
J: Jokes. The stupid kind, like "Why did the monkey fall out of the tree? Because it was dead." And the "inside" kind, that give my friends and I a shared language.
I: Ice cream. Because it is the best thing ever.
I think I will finish the alphabet tomorrow. Till next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In which I pen a tribute to my ex-boyfriends

So, I promised a friend I would have something substantial up here by tonight. Another friend told me that I needed to post soon, because...MY READERSHIP! I didn't know I had a "readership" but if I do, I'd hate to disappoint them! So here goes. Lately, I've been getting a lot of questions about whether or not I'm dating anyone, or if I'm still dating "that one guy" (which has been used in reference to both the man I stopped dating about a month ago, and the other fellow I stopped dating over a year ago), or simply condolences that things didn't work out with some relationship or another. These questions and condolences are often coupled with the idea that I'll "find the right guy soon," or "I met my husband right after a break-up," or that "if it isn't right, it isn't right." And while I don't disagree with any of those statements, I also feel that these relationships and subsequent breakups,

In which I share a string of possibly unconnected thoughts.

It's raining outside. Everything is misty, and the mountains are wrapped in heavy white clouds. It makes me homesick for this place: (Can you be homesick for a place that was never your home?)  I think I'm long overdue for some Oregon beach-camping. Hopefully I can make it happen...next summer. In other news, yesterday was Norwegian Independence Day. Which doesn't mean much to me, except that I got to enjoy some good food and good company. I am officially in love with this: Oh, and this: That is all. 

In which I iterate a list of things that irk me

The phrase: "Attitude of Gratitude." I don't know why, but it makes me cringe. Every. Single. Time. The Washington Post Social Reader Facebook app. I refuse to download the app because I don't want the entire Facebook community to know that I'm reading about "Beyonce's Incredible, Unique, Miraculous Pregnancy." This means, however, that I get to see all the tantalizing headlines from articles my friends are reading, without being able to read them myself. It's...maddening. Spotify. For similar reasons. Too-long eyelash extensions. Girls, having baby tarantulas attached to your eyelids is not attractive. The dating scene. I would like to either be completely single and romance-less, or have a boyfriend who loves and adores me. None of this going on dates with boys who I don't actually like that much. None of these mini-crushes on menfolk who won't ever reciprocate. As Patrick Henry once said, give me true love or give me asexuality