Skip to main content

Away in a Manger (New Testament Blog Post)

So, about two weeks ago, I walked into my apartment to Michael Buble singing "Let it Snow," followed by Christmas song after Christmas song. For my roommates, the Christmas season evidently starts at the beginning of October. This irritated me at first, but as I've thought about it, I realized, why confine the joy we feel at our Savior's birth to one month of the year? We owe Him gratitude and praise every day of the year, not just during December. So along those lines, here is my blog post for today.

Looking at the two birth narratives in the New Testament (Matthew and Luke), I found it interesting that neither narrative contains “the whole story” as we commonly hear it. The main elements of our Nativity story seem to be split fairly evenly between these two books. Matthew starts with Mary becoming pregnant by the Holy Ghost, (1:18) and Joseph’s reaction to this. I really admire Joseph’s behavior in this story. First, when Joseph discovers his fiancĂ©e is pregnant, instead of making “a publick example”, he determines to “put her away privily” (Matthew 1:19) so that her life and reputation won’t be completely shattered. Then, when the Lord’s angel tells him of Jesus’ parentage and commands him to wed Mary, he immediately obeys, disregarding any personal cost to himself.

Next Matthew tells the story of the wise men. In Matthew 2, the Wise Men come to Herod and ask, “Where is he that is born King of the Jews?” (Matthew 2:3). Herod sends them to Bethlehem, where they find Jesus and his mother, bringing the famous gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh, (Matthew 2:11). The Lord warns them not to return to Herod, and tells Joseph to flee to Egypt to save Christ from Herod’s slaughter.

Luke’s birth narrative describes the births of both Jesus and John the Baptist, alternating descriptions of each. Luke shows Gabriel’s announcement to Zacharias and then to Mary, demonstrating Zacharias’ unbelief and Mary’s strong faith. He shows the visit of Mary and Elizabeth, when Elizabeth declares the holiness of Mary’s unborn child and Mary praises the Lord for her blessings (Luke 1). Then, Luke tells of John’s birth, and his naming. In Luke 2, we read the famous Nativity story: Mary and Joseph go to Bethlehem for their taxes, but since there is “no room for them in the inn,” (Luke 2:7), they stay in a stable, where Mary gives birth. The angels announce this glorious news to shepherds, who come “with haste” to worship their newly born Savior” (Luke 2:16).

To me, Matthew’s account seems to focus mostly on Christ’s kingly and Davidic origins and His role as King of the Jews, especially the story of the Magi and Herod. Luke’s account seems to center mostly around Mary and her reaction to the birth, as well as the reaction of common people (the shepherds, Simeon, Anna). However, both narratives assert the divinity of Jesus Christ. Matthew quotes Gabriel as saying, “He shall save the people from their sins” (Matthew 1:21). Luke records Simeon’s words, “Mine eyes have seen thy salvation, which thou hast prepared before the face of all people; a light to lighten the Gentiles, and the glory of thy people Israel” (Luke 2:30-32). Though Matthew and Luke emphasize different events in their respective narratives, both make it clear that Jesus is the Christ, the Savior and Redeemer of the world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In which I pen a tribute to my ex-boyfriends

So, I promised a friend I would have something substantial up here by tonight. Another friend told me that I needed to post soon, because...MY READERSHIP! I didn't know I had a "readership" but if I do, I'd hate to disappoint them! So here goes. Lately, I've been getting a lot of questions about whether or not I'm dating anyone, or if I'm still dating "that one guy" (which has been used in reference to both the man I stopped dating about a month ago, and the other fellow I stopped dating over a year ago), or simply condolences that things didn't work out with some relationship or another. These questions and condolences are often coupled with the idea that I'll "find the right guy soon," or "I met my husband right after a break-up," or that "if it isn't right, it isn't right." And while I don't disagree with any of those statements, I also feel that these relationships and subsequent breakups,

In which I share a string of possibly unconnected thoughts.

It's raining outside. Everything is misty, and the mountains are wrapped in heavy white clouds. It makes me homesick for this place: (Can you be homesick for a place that was never your home?)  I think I'm long overdue for some Oregon beach-camping. Hopefully I can make it happen...next summer. In other news, yesterday was Norwegian Independence Day. Which doesn't mean much to me, except that I got to enjoy some good food and good company. I am officially in love with this: Oh, and this: That is all. 

In which I iterate a list of things that irk me

The phrase: "Attitude of Gratitude." I don't know why, but it makes me cringe. Every. Single. Time. The Washington Post Social Reader Facebook app. I refuse to download the app because I don't want the entire Facebook community to know that I'm reading about "Beyonce's Incredible, Unique, Miraculous Pregnancy." This means, however, that I get to see all the tantalizing headlines from articles my friends are reading, without being able to read them myself. It's...maddening. Spotify. For similar reasons. Too-long eyelash extensions. Girls, having baby tarantulas attached to your eyelids is not attractive. The dating scene. I would like to either be completely single and romance-less, or have a boyfriend who loves and adores me. None of this going on dates with boys who I don't actually like that much. None of these mini-crushes on menfolk who won't ever reciprocate. As Patrick Henry once said, give me true love or give me asexuality