Skip to main content

Speaking from the dust: In which I believe

I was perusing my unpublished drafts folder the other night, and realized that, by golly, there is some good stuff in there (if I do say so myself). So I figured, why not let my past self be a guest blogger once in a while? Blogging "as one speaking from the dust," as it were. I'm not sure when this one was written, but I like it.

These are the things I believe in:

I believe in snow and sunshine and rain and thunderstorms. I believe in conversations that last until 2 am, in letting another person see a part of your soul, in trusting that you can be vulnerable without getting hurt. I believe in love of all kinds and shapes and forms. I believe in kindness and smiles and spontaneity and service. I believe that eye contact is terrifying and important. I believe in exploring the mountains. I believe in adventure. I believe in discourse and dialogue and argumentation, and I believe in respect for other's viewpoints and being flexible enough to change your mind. I believe that every person is infinitely important. I believe that there is a reason for life, even if the answer is simply that life is its own reason. I believe that people matter. I believe in individuality and uniqueness and common ground and unity. I believe in forgiveness, in revising first impressions, in change. I believe in art and beauty and music. I believe in hugs. I believe in holding hands and in cuddling. I believe that bodies...all of them...are wonderful and beautiful and powerful and awe-inspiring. I believe that we are very small. I believe in laying on the ground and realizing that there is so much happening underneath us that we will never see. I believe in learning. I believe in my own ignorance. I believe in immortality, whether through corporeal resurrection, spiritual afterlife, or simply the reverberations our deeds leave in the patterns of the universe. Everybody makes an impact, and their impact is what lives on. Therefore, I believe in making my waves of impact good. I believe in connections, in finding the sublime in others. I believe in expression, in words, in touch. I believe in family, both born into and chosen. I believe that this world has more to it than meets the eye, that there is an infinite amount of things we do not and wil never understand. I believe in climbing trees, jumping in puddles, and blowing bubbles. I believe in treating children like adults, and remembering as adults to stay like children.

I believe in more than I thought I did.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In which I pen a tribute to my ex-boyfriends

So, I promised a friend I would have something substantial up here by tonight. Another friend told me that I needed to post soon, because...MY READERSHIP! I didn't know I had a "readership" but if I do, I'd hate to disappoint them! So here goes. Lately, I've been getting a lot of questions about whether or not I'm dating anyone, or if I'm still dating "that one guy" (which has been used in reference to both the man I stopped dating about a month ago, and the other fellow I stopped dating over a year ago), or simply condolences that things didn't work out with some relationship or another. These questions and condolences are often coupled with the idea that I'll "find the right guy soon," or "I met my husband right after a break-up," or that "if it isn't right, it isn't right." And while I don't disagree with any of those statements, I also feel that these relationships and subsequent breakups,

In which I share a string of possibly unconnected thoughts.

It's raining outside. Everything is misty, and the mountains are wrapped in heavy white clouds. It makes me homesick for this place: (Can you be homesick for a place that was never your home?)  I think I'm long overdue for some Oregon beach-camping. Hopefully I can make it happen...next summer. In other news, yesterday was Norwegian Independence Day. Which doesn't mean much to me, except that I got to enjoy some good food and good company. I am officially in love with this: Oh, and this: That is all. 

In which I iterate a list of things that irk me

The phrase: "Attitude of Gratitude." I don't know why, but it makes me cringe. Every. Single. Time. The Washington Post Social Reader Facebook app. I refuse to download the app because I don't want the entire Facebook community to know that I'm reading about "Beyonce's Incredible, Unique, Miraculous Pregnancy." This means, however, that I get to see all the tantalizing headlines from articles my friends are reading, without being able to read them myself. It's...maddening. Spotify. For similar reasons. Too-long eyelash extensions. Girls, having baby tarantulas attached to your eyelids is not attractive. The dating scene. I would like to either be completely single and romance-less, or have a boyfriend who loves and adores me. None of this going on dates with boys who I don't actually like that much. None of these mini-crushes on menfolk who won't ever reciprocate. As Patrick Henry once said, give me true love or give me asexuality